Tuesday 4 November 2014

Day 2: The Journey to Siem Reap

It was not just a day of travel on the coach from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap, but a 6-hour journey of quiet reflection as we pushed our boundaries further to be more accepting of the realities of the world we live in. This week marks the transition from the wet season to the dry season in Cambodia and the roads are dusty as we travelled on the road, as compared to yesterday's flooded roads.

 


Children selling fruits at our first "Happy Stop"


Lunch after reaching Siem Reap





Doing some reflection and last preparation for tomorrow's lesson before dinner.

Sharifah 3N2:
On the way to Siem Reap, I saw different type of housing as compared to Singapore. Most people live in the kampung (village). There were many children selling bananas at the restroom stop. The living conditions of the villages along the journey are different as there were more litter and dust around. There were few people around and there were no traffic jams like Singapore.

I think we should be grateful of what Singapore has to offer us as Cambodians have few opportunities and facilities. As a whole, we can still improve on our actions and behaviour as a group of students representing the school.

I wonder if I can make the living conditions of Siem Reap better, just by a little. I would love to learn more about their school and living conditions at home.

Jovid 3N2:
I saw many cows along the journey from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap. I also saw two water buffalos in the pond and two kids playing with them. I saw many kids trying to sell fruits at our first "Happy Stop". I also saw many insects being sold there. I think the insects are edible because they were already fried.

I think that the children who were selling fruits at the "Happy Stop" looked happy even though their lives may be tougher.

I wonder if I can try living here like the Cambodians and adapt to the environment within just one day. I wonder if I can help make life better for the people here.


Introduction at the ACODO

Traditional Khmer Dance performance by the ACODO children






Reflections before we rest for the night

Sean Chng Wei Xiong 3A

The tour guides are passionate about their country and were open to sharing his opinions on his world view. I enjoyed the children's performance at the ACODO orphanage and had fun with them after that. The Cambodians remain happy and positive, even though there were many difficulties for them. I think we should thank the bus driver for being professional and ensuring a safe ride for all of us. I wonder if I can be as hardworking as the Cambodians who lead a simple life. I wonder if I can be as creative and as innovative as them.

Joey Ong 3A

I saw that the kids lead a simple life style, but they are very happy and cheerful. Many Cambodians would like to come to Singapore to study, I think we should cherish our opportunities to study well in Singapore. I wonder if I can help the children at ACODO in other ways apart from watching their performance and donating money.


No comments:

Post a Comment